7 Business and License Permits for 2022

If your business is expanding, here are seven permit requirements to keep in mind.

  1. If you plan to expand operations into another state, you must obtain an EIN and federal tax ID number; plus, get a state tax ID number in the states where you operate.
  2. Business licenses are needed in each state in which you operate. That may be accomplished through the Small Business Administration.
  3. Land use for a new plan also requires zoning and land use permits for signage and erected structures. You’ll need to contact the city and/or county planning office for details.
  4. If you’re building or remodeling a structure, you’ll need a permit for that too.
  5. Sales tax licenses, which could be different by state, for any goods manufactured by your company are also needed.
  6. If your company manufactures food or other regulated goods/products, you will require health department permits.
  7. Certain industries are regulated by the federal government, including tobacco, firearms, alcohol, and drugs. If you’re planning on manufacturing anything in those industries, you’ll need to contact the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms to ensure compliance.

Overseeing business licenses is complicated. We are actively involved in trade organizations in the Central Iowa area and throughout the state so that we can better serve you. Give MHCS call today.